Finger waves for the win! This gorgeous up-do — which graced one of our 2016 covers! — is the perfect combination of classic and modern. The softened finger waves in the front are brought together into a delicate bun at the nape of the neck. It’s elegant, princess-like, and formal without being stuffy. Too often, up-dos get a bad rap. But when they’re as gorgeous as this? Up, up and away, friends.
For the makeup, the eyes have it. Her eyebrows are a thing of beauty, and that subtle, smoky cat eye? Meow.
Top 5 Formal Tips
1. FORMAL INVITE If you’re a bride intimidated by trends, the formal look could be for you. “Formal is timeless — pure and simple,” says Bronwyn Haws, stylist at Suggestions Salon. “It’s beautiful for any bride.”
2. SET YOUR STRANDS “Behind every classic up-do is a good set,” Bronwyn says. “This helps add volume, minimize frizz and keeps your curls lasting longer. And always use a strong-hold hairspray to finish it off!”
3. THE FULL EFFECT “For a fuller look, pinch and pull edges of your buns and braids, extending them to a dramatic size,” Bronwyn says.
4. LONG-ING FOR VEILS “We always adore a Cathedral-length veil for a more formal look,” says Ashley Murphy of Avenia Bridal. “It’s such a wow factor.”
5. SEAMLESS SEAMS If you’re going for a formal look, pick a gown with more classic features. Ball gowns, sweeping trains, satin, exquisite lace — the formal options are endless.
Try a veil! Veils always — and we mean always! — complement formal looks. That touch of the traditional is a perfect way to up the elegance factor.
Add a floral! Floral crowns are feeling a little tired, but that doesn’t mean petals are out of play. It’s all about execution. We love the shape of this floral piece — especially since it still shows off that fab finger wave.
P.S. This is one of five styles we featured in the hair + makeup editorial for our 2016 issue. You can also check out The Whimsical, The Natural + The Pixie! The last look — The Bombshell — is still to come on UtahValleyBride.com!
Photography Alyssia B Photography
Paper Floral Backdrop + Bouquet The Lovely Ave
Font Design Pro Digital Photos
Hair + Makeup Bronwyn Haws, Suggestions Salon
Gown Tara Keely from Avenia Bridal
Model Aly Peterson, Build Your Beautiful